Wednesday 21 July 2010

Fernworthy

Fernworthy Reservoir, Dartmoor

Just a brief update today. I have been busy over the last few days with the website and writing my monthly article for the Costa Blanca News, nevertheless I managed a few hours early this morning at Fernworthy, Dartmoor. I walked the footpath leading from the car park (where possible, some bits were flooded) and then cut back through the plantation and back around to the car park.

The plantation produced 6 Redpoll and 14 Crossbill but otherwise was very quiet. However, the scrub adjacent to the reservoir was alive with birds, Long-tailed Tits and Chaffinch being the most abundant species. Other birds of note included 7 (all male) Reed Bunting, 9 Bullfinch, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Wheatear (in front of the car park) and a Grasshopper Warbler which despite singing on and off for 20 minutes, could not be pinned down.

I will be visiting Holden Hill this evening in the hope that the Nightjars will be active after numerous wet days and nights, I will update on how successful the trip was in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment