Sunday 12 January 2014

Cheshire Lifers again

Yesterday was a lovely sunny day in Cheshire so when news broke that the Buff-bellied Pipit from last year had been relocated on the Wirral, I dropped what I was doing and headed off for the 40 minute drive.  I was keen to add this bird to my Cheshire list because work commitments in December meant that I could not go for it then. 

There were forty other birders on site when I arrived and the bird had been seen half an hour earlier. Confident of seeing my quarry I was ready to wait it out when the man next to me said he had it in the scope.  We watched the bird for a good five minutes in perfect sunshine until a Heron flew over and spooked everything that was around.  Happy with my views and as it was so nice, I decided to take Scruffy for a walk up Denhall Lane.  This turned out to be a good move as 400 metres up the lane there were four Chiffchaff feeding in the hedgerow, two of which were Siberian Chiffchaff.  I watched them for ten minutes and took plenty of photographs.  Scruffy was fed up of keeping still now so I headed back towards the car.  As I approached the car the Buff-bellied Pipit was showing even closer than earlier so with camera in one hand and the dog in the other I managed a few photos to share with you.


 Siberian Chiffchaff
 and again
 and in the sun
 Buff-bellied Pipit
 Buff-bellied Pipit
and one more

No comments:

Post a Comment