Monday 29 November 2010

Friday 26th - Delores and Hondo south.

I went to the south edge of Hondo today to look for flooded fields again and did manage to find some, but i manged to loose something as well - my digi-scoping kit!!! So having decided in my wisdom to leave the DSLR at home I have no images for this post today!

The field I found had obviously been flooded some time ago as you could see that the pool which had been created had shrunk significantly, leaving a very muddy field full of wagtails. There were some other things amongst the White Wagtails however, including - Glossy Ibis (7), Wood Sandpiper (3), Green Sandpiper (2), Ruff (2) and Water Pipit (20+). The surrounding fields were constantly being attended to by a couple of Marsh Harrier but we also managed to find a female Hen Harrier which hung around for 15 minutes, shortly followed by a male which did not stop to show off. Perhaps the best moment of the day was when a Merlin sat on a post less than 30m away from me for at least 10 minutes, sods law that this would happen shortly after loosing my digi-scoping gear!

I spent about half an hour looking for the Greater Spotted Eagles from the road at the back of Hondo and managed to find an un-tagged 3rd winter individual and the juv which has been around for a number of weeks now. New camera ordered but for the next week or so it will be DSLR images only, so hopefully everything will stay at close range for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment